Wednesday, May 9, 2012

GUEST POST: Lunch Box Ideas

Today we have  wonderful guest post from Sarah at Becoming a Proverbs 31 Woman, after you read this awesome post on Lunch Box Ideas be sure to show her some love and visit her blog.

She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household.. vs. 15a

Whenever I moved out of my parents house, I had to think of better ways to save my money. One major expense that I decided to cut was my eating out budget. I sometimes ate out for lunch and dinner (because I commuted to school) and hardly ever packed a lunch. Not only was the extremely unhealthy for my body, but it was also bad for my bank account.
I'm not gonna lie., packing a lunch takes an effort, and I have found that if I don't put a good enough effort into it, I won't like what I pack and often will order take-out anyway. So it's important to do this excellently if you are going to do it and be satisfied with your lunch choices. Also, this takes self-control and you have to learn how to practice it whenever your co-workers are ordering take-out, fast food, etc.. Learn how to say, "No thanks. I packed my lunch today." It's not always that simple. But the more you say it, the easier it gets.
So today I thought I would give you some lunch box ideas. Most of these you should be able to put into a container and simply bring with you during your work or school day. Some you have to cook ahead of time, some at work (depending on the appliances they have, and some just require assembly). Also, I often like to have one hot item and one cold item for lunch so I combine some of these ideas to have a whole meal.

Hummus and Pita Bread
PHOTO CREDIT
This is a super filling lunch meal. It's a little pricey,
but it's something you can eat for the whole week.






Baked Potatoes
PHOTO CREDIT
Bake a bunch of potatoes on like a Sunday night. Then wrap one in foil, bring it and a container of toppings you like with it. If there is microwave wherever you are during lunch, then nook it for a bit. This could also last you the whole week. (If you get bored with the same thing, make two items like this and pair it with veggies or fruit for something different).
  
PHOTO CREDIT
This recipe for this is above. I have tried this before, and it's delicious.
 Simply make it before your week begins.





Quesadillas
PHOTO CREDIT
You can get really creative with these. At my job, there is a toaster oven. So I bring cheese and the tortilla shells, cut them up, and stick them in that to cook. However, you can make them at home and add veggies, chicken, etc.. Then warm them up during lunchtime in a microwave.







PHOTO CREDIT
Above is just one recipe for pasta salad. There are so many out there.
Make up a big bowl at home at the start of the week, and just pack it all week.






Toasted Cheese, Tomato Soup
PHOTO CREDIT
Toasted Cheese is just like grilled cheese (except cooked in a toaster oven). I bring the bread, butter, and cheese at work and pop it into the toaster oven for about five minutes. Then at home you could have made the tomato soup ahead of time and simply warm it up along with your toasted cheese. And you have a hearty lunch.





Garden Salad, Crab Salad, Chicken Caesar Salad
PHOTO CREDIT
Any type of salad is good to bring for lunch. It's healthy and simple.
This just requires assembly in the morning or night before. 





Homemade soup
PHOTO CREDIT
You can make a big pot of soup before your work/school week,
bring it, and warm it if you have a microwave.


Here are some simple soup recipes:

*Using your crock pot comes in really handy with soups.

Leftovers
PHOTO CREDIT
Don't forget about saving some food from the night before for lunch the next day.
It saves time and money. 

I hope this helps give you some creative, healthy ideas to pack in your lunch box.
Remember menu planning  and utilizing store sales is always useful to help you stay organized with the meals you need to make for that week.
Do you have any other lunch box ideas? I'd love to hear from you!

5 comments:

  1. Those are all great ideas, and I agree that if you look beyond the plain old sandwich, it keeps the meals from being boring. In high school, I was the only person who brought my lunch for years. I didn't like the cafeteria food, so I'd bring my own. My go to thing back then was pita bread, and I would stuff taco fillings or salads in them for an easy to eat meal.

    Thanks for sharing these great ideas on Your Cozy Home Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky that our HS had amazing food, so I never had to pack a lunch.. but I love all these ideas if I had to!

      Delete
  2. I used to work as a nurse at the bedside and no one had time to go out for lunch. Now I work in an office and everyone goes out to lunch. I realize the networking is important, so if they are going to a laid back restraunt, I just take my lunch and go with them. I also try to make one batch of soup per week and freeze the leftovers in single serve containers... so thanks for more recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know all her soup recipes are great, I cant wait to try some myself!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful ideas. Leftovers are great. I never tire of them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...